Houston Informer, June 10, 1950.  Used with permission of the Houston Informer

No "Gaines Fiasco" For Texas Negroes

HOUSTON—Texas Negroes have indicated already that the victory won by Heman M. Sweatt in his fight to enter the University of Texas will not develop into another Gaines fiasco. Already two Negroes have enrolled at all [sic] the white state-supported university and two others have announced that they plan to enroll in the fall.

Lloyd Gaines, one of the first Negroes to seek admission to a white state school through the courts, won a partial victory when the court ruled that he state of Missouri must offer him equal facilities. Following the ruling, the state established a separate law school for Negroes in St. Louis, however, Gaines never attended the school and shortly after the ruling, he dropped out of the headlines altogether.

This will not be the case in Texas however; Sweatt has declared his intention of entering the University of Texas in the fall, as has W. Astor Kirk, Tillotson professor, who in January refused a segregated arrangement at the school.

Kirk, who will study for the doctorate degree in government, had made arrangements to each during the summer before the Sweatt [ruling]. However, he will enter the university in the fall, he said.

Two Negroes enrolled in the University of Texas Wednesday morning, one, Horace Lincoln Heath of Waco, waited more than half his life span for the opportunity. He was 50 and entered the school of engineering. The other, John Sanders Chase of Austin will do graduate work in agriculture.

Students of the University who have had four years "education" on the idea [of] equalization of educational opportunities as necessary toward fulfillment of democratic ideals, paid little or no attention to their two black fellow-students as the two men went through the process of registering.

The men presented themselves at the University immediately after the Supreme Court decision on the Sweatt Case opened the doors of the school to Negro students seeking education on the upper levels. Sweatt, who tried for four years before he succeeded in getting the doors of the school open through court procedures said that he intends to enroll this fall.

Chase and Heath were expected to pay their fees Wednesday afternoon, making their registration complete.