Houston Informer, March 16, 1946. Used with permission of the Houston Informer

Capitol Writer Says No Graduate-Professional School In Texas For Negroes

HOUSTON—The fact established when Heman Sweatt attempted to enroll in the University of Texas was that Texas provides no graduate or professional schooling for Negroes[,] a capitol staff writer for the American-Statesman published in Austin, Texas observed March 3

The articles under the caption "EDUCATIONAL SETUP LOPSIDED IN FAVOR OF WHITE STUDENTS", is quoted as it appeared in the Sunday American-Statesman: "What is the status of public education for Negroes in Texas?

A Negro attempting to enroll in the University of Texas last week established the fact that Texas provides no graduate or professional schooling for the Negroes.

What of the education from the first grade through high school?

Statistics of the state department of education for the year 1943-1944 (the latest compiled) present the following facts:

The scholastic population (ages 6 to 17) is comprised of 84.5 per cent whites and 15.5 per cent Negroes.

The same percentage of both groups – 67 per cent – attend school, the whites 36 35 [sic] weeks in the year; the Negroes, 33 weeks.

An average of $59.02 is spent on white student in one school year. An average of $37.45 is spent on one Negro student in one school year. The Negro receives 63.5 per cent as much as the white.

The state gives the school districts in per capita funds the same amount for a white child as for a Negro child.

The school facilities for the whites represent 94.4 per cent of the total value of school property, leaving 5.6 per cent for the Negroes.

The white teacher’s average salary is $1,353.58. The Negro teacher’s average yearly salary is $919.85.

Seventy-five per cent of the white teachers hold one or more college degrees. Sixty-six percent of the Negro teachers hold one or more college degrees. One per cent of the Negroes hold Ph.D. degrees.

Thirteen per cent of the white teachers hold masters degrees; 3 per cent of the Negroes. Sixty-one per cent of the whites hold bachelor degrees; 63 per cent of the Negroes.